Hockey Training- change of venue

During the winter months, hockey classes will take place upstairs in Arravale Rovers on Wednesday evenings, 6th of October.

Cost- €2.00 each Wednesday

Classes for children from Junior Infants to 4th Class: 6pm to 7pm.

Pupils in 5th and 6th classes: 7pm to 8pm.

Bring gumshields and shin-guards if you have them (optional).

Hockey sticks are provided.

For more information, contact Nuala O’ Sullivan: 0863438899.

Help support GOAL!

On Friday the 13th of October, the students and staff of St. Joseph’s School will be wearing jerseys in support of Goal’s Jersey Day. We are trying to raise funds for Goal. Can you help?

Online donation options:

1. Click here to donate.
  2. Scan the qr code.

GOAL works with communities right around the world to help them recover from and then rebuild their lives after things like man-made and natural disasters happen.
GOAL was started in 1977 and has been in existence for 45 years now.

Last year alone GOAL supported 14 million people across 19 different countries. That’s roughly 3 times the population of Ireland that have been helped by GOALs programmes and by us because we support GOAL by taking part in Jersey Day.
There are currently over 2500 GOAL staff around the world who run different programmes in Latin America, East and West Africa, the Middle East and in 2022 Europe was added to that list when GOAL began working in Ukraine and where the now have two offices in Kyiv and Lviv.

Hockey Coaching

Hockey classes will begin in St. Ailbe’s School on Wednesday evening, 6th of October.

Cost- €2.00 each Wednesday

Hockey sticks are provided.

Sports Day- Infants to 2nd

All classes from Infants to 2nd had great fun on their sports day. Many thanks to the 6th Class girls for their help with each activity.

Goal Jersey Day – 14-10-2022

Pupils and staff of St. Joseph’s School are welcome to wear their favourite jersey or t-shirt on Friday 14th of October, in support of Goal Jersey Day. Please bring a donation if you can. Read more about it here.

You can also make an online donation on the Goal web page.

Jersey Day

Webinar for Parents 16th June- “Children and the Digital World – How Much is Too Much?”

FREE Webinar

presented by Ciara O`Donoghue,

Zeeko, specialists in keeping young people safe On-line.

Thursday 16th June at 7pm

Even though children sometimes seem to understand technology better than adults do, they need guidance on how to use technology in a responsible and positive way.

Our children are currently engaged in the digital world to be educated, stay connected with friends and play games. Research suggests that adults who understand online safety and are able to use technology are more successful in guiding children’s digital use.

Therefore, it is beneficial for parents and caregivers, especially with school holidays approachingto receive information on online safety, and advice on how to help children manage online risks.

Register in advance for this meeting HERE.

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

Walk for Charlie – update

After some late donations, we can confirm that you helped us raise €464.00 for Pieta and the Irish Motor Neuron Disease Association.

Many thanks!

First Holy Communion

Congratulations to all the girls in 2nd Class who received their First Holy Communion on Friday 20th of May.

Our Walk for Charlie

Today, 13-5-2022,  all the pupils from St. Joseph’s went up the hills on our Walk for Charlie. The infant classes walked with their buddies from 5th and 6th. We saw cowslips, bluebells, and lots of other flowers. We also saw the Famine Graveyard and the quarry.

When we got back to school, we recorded a video message for Charlie Bird, sending him our best wishes. Finally we released the pink balloons. It was a lovely day.

Thanks to all those who made a donation in support of the Irish Motor Neuron Disease Association and Pieta.

Thanks to our parent helpers and Garda John Kingston for all their help in ensuring that everyone was very safe today.

Daffodil Day at St. Joseph’s

Thanks to all who dressed in yellow or other bright colours and donated towards Daffodil Day in St. Joseph’s.

You helped us to raise €353.40 for the Irish Cancer Society.

“Walk for Charlie” at St. Joseph’s

On Friday the 13th of May, pupils and staff from St. Joseph’s will be going for a walk to support the Irish Motor Neuron Disease Association and Pieta, 2 charities very close to Charlie Bird who recently climbed Croagh Patrick on April 2nd. Climb with Carlie has raised almost 2.5 million euro for the charities so far.

Charlie Bird visited St. Joseph’s School in 2018 to launch our school CD that year. He told us about visiting the Antarctic to see the penguins and shared a photo of himself with them.

We hope that all pupils will bring a donation to help support two very worthwhile charities.

Songs for First Holy Communion

1- Opening Hymn- The Gathering Song

Click the link to read the words.                1- The Gathering Song

2- Psalm- The Lord, He is my Shepherd

Click the link to read the words.                2- The Lord, He is my Shepherd

3- Recessional (Final) Hymn- Go Now in Peace

Click the link to read the words.                3- Go Now in Peace

Songs to practise for First Penance

1. I’m Sorry    Click to listen

Chorus:

I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m really very sorry.

I hurt your feelings, caused you pain,

I’d like to be your friend again.

I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m very, very sorry.

Verse 1:

Sometimes when we play our games, I get angry, I call you names.

I know I should not act this way, That is why I’d like to say …

Chorus:

I hurt your feelings, caused you pain,

I’d like to be your friend again.

Verse 2:

Sometimes I tell tales on you, I make up stories that are not true.

Chorus:

I hurt your feelings, caused you pain,

I’d like to be your friend again.

Verse 3:

Sometimes I won’t let you play, I turn my back till you go away,

Chorus:

I hurt your feelings, caused you pain,

I’d like to be your friend again.

2. We are the Greatest            Click to listen

Just the way we children are, is just how we’re happy to be,

Full of life and full of fun, just how we’re happy to be,

And just in case there’s any doubt we want you to know,

We are the greatest, yes, we are, ‘cos Jesus told us so … yeah,

Jesus told us so … yeah!

Full of surprises, full of love, just how we’re happy to be,

Jesus told us so … yeah!

Seachtain na Gaeilge

Last week, we celebrated Seachtain na Gaeilge (Irish Week) in school. We had a ceilí (dance) in the yard on Wednesday 16th where classes danced the Walls of Limerick and Shoe the Donkey. Ms. McCarthy has been teaching 2nd, 3rd and 5th an easy reel, and they danced some of that for us too. It was a beautiful sunny day and the whole school enjoyed the chance to celebrate Seachtain na Gaeilge together.

Bígí ag caint as Gaeilge más féidir!  (Speak Irish if you can!)

Here are some photos  of the girls dancing happily to traditional Irish music. After the photos, you can see some videos.

VIDEOS

New Defibrillator at St. Joseph’s Primary School

Wonderful news for the health and safety of all on the campus at St. Joseph’s Primary, Tipperary Town, that they have now got a new Defibrillator on site.

Last Summer Principal Ms. Louise Tobin started planning as to how the school would fund this life saving piece of equipment. On chatting to Parent’s Association treasurer, Andrea O’ Dwyer, they agreed to ask the local Tipperary Town Credit Union to sponsor this project. The local Community Committee at the Credit Union and IT and Marketing Manager Brendan Ryan agreed to this proposal, factoring in the large number of people who are on site at St. Joseph’s on any given day- pupils, staff, bus drivers, pre-schoolers in Joseph Beag and Totally Kids preschool, in fact well over 200 people.

Board of Management member Pat O’Grady at the school, was involved in helping the school to find and purchase a defibrillator that would meet the school’s needs.

Pictured at the presentation of the cheque to fund the new defibrillator at St. Joseph’s Primary, Tipperary Town are Louise Tobin, Principal, receiving the cheque from Brendan Ryan, Tipperary Credit Union. Also included are Anna Tuohy Halligan, Director, Tipperary Credit Union; Pat O’Grady, St. Joseph’s Board of Management; Andrea O’ Dwyer, St. Joseph’s Parents Association and pupils from Junior Infants and 6th class.

Call for Support for Ukraine

Call for Support for Ukraine

We have been asked to support an appeal for help for emergency items needed for the people of Ukraine.

The following items are requested and will be collected, itemised and sorted to be taken to Poland to help the people of Ukraine:

Batteries

Torches & Flash lamps

Sleeping bags

Flasks

Disposable masks & gloves

Bandages

Warm Socks & Underwear

Nappies

Clothes

Any other necessities

All items need to be new or nearly new.

We will ask our Senior pupils to make cards to send to the Ukrainian families.

Please drop any of the above items to the school any day from Monday 7th March to Thursday 11th March, or to Anna Laba at the Launderette on the Bansha Road.

Thank you.

Internet Safety

Parents, do you know which websites your children visit? Do you know who they chat with online? Have you explained to them how to stay safe when they use the internet?

To find advice on these questions and more,  visit https://www.webwise.ie/parents/

Internet safety day is on Tuesday 8th of February. 

“In This Together”

Click HERE to read the fortnightly newsletter called “In this together” which is about various events going on in the Tipperary Town community, and gives handy tips and information about a variety of topics. There is a segment on it about wellness/wellbeing with sessions for adults. These are similar to programmes currently being implemented in our school to improve wellbeing amongst the children.

Free Coding Workshops

DojoMór 2021 for free online coding workshops

For one day only, 20,000 students, from primary and secondary schools around Ireland, will learn how to code in a fun, exciting virtual environment. Free coding workshops from DojoMór 2021, funded by the Higher Education Authority of Ireland, will be running online, from 10am to 2pm, Saturday 6th November 2021, offering a range of activities and amusements to suit all ages and interests.

Click the link to find out more.

https://dojomor2021.vfairs.com/

Updated Covid advice for parents

The HSE has provided information for parents about the changes to contact tracing and testing for children aged between 3 months and 13 years in early learning and care, school aged childcare, education, primary school sports and social settings. You can find it here:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/13610-information-for-parents-about-the-changes-to-contact-tracing-and-testing-for-children-aged-between-3-months-and-13-years-in-early-learning-and-care-elc-and-school-age-childcare-sac-education-primary-school-sports-and-social-settings/

You can find other resources for parents for download here:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/a04fc-advice-for-students-and-their-families/

Videos and posters outlining the common symptoms of Covid-19, and stressing  to parents that if a child has any new onset symptoms as listed and feels unwell or seems off-form,  not to send them to school and contact their GP for advice, if necessary.

Credit Union Art Competition

This year’s Art Competition is taking place with a closing date of Friday 22nd October 2021. The theme is “IMAGINE”. The competition caters for children aged under 7 to over 18 years of age.  Entry forms and information packs are not being sent to schools this year. 

You can read the full details here:        https://www.creditunion.ie/news/art-competition/

How to Enter

Entries for the Credit Union Art Competition are through local participating credit unions.

To enter, you will need to complete an entry form which you can get from your local credit union branch or by contacting them directly
It is important to mark your date of birth clearly.

Marking your date of birth and ticking your age category will result in your piece of art being judged in that category. If found to be in the wrong category, your entry may be disqualified from the competition.

When thinking about your entry, it’s important to consider the following points:
·        All entries must be submitted in either A3 (420 x 297mm) or A2 (594 x 420mm) and landscape orientation. 

Portrait oriented entries will be disqualified from adjudication.·       

Name, address, age, date of birth and other details (where applicable) must be clearly printed on the entry form and then attached to the back of the entry.

Any entries bearing incomplete entry forms may not be considered.

·        The entry can be drawn or painted in pencil, charcoal, pen or ink, felt-tip markers, crayon, pastel, water colours, gouache, acrylics, oils, poster colour or collage. Prints done from a lino block, wood block or any other method may also be submitted. No computer aided design (CAD) may be entered. No pieces of art under glass, as we cannot be responsible for same.

Our new Family Liaison Teacher

Hi everyone,

My name is Lisa Sheehy and I just wanted to introduce myself to the school as the new Family Liaison Teacher for the St. Joseph’s Primary School. I will be here every Friday to help.

Overall I hope to be able to help both you and your children to maximise their potential at school.

As well as working with some groups of children in the school, I will be providing some handy tips on various topics to you throughout the year.

I can offer guidance on school-related issues you may have.

I also hope that, as restrictions continue to be lifted, we may be in a position to offer English language classes again for parents amongst other things in a safe manner.

My contact details are 087 1993454 or miss.sheehylms@gmail.com which will be monitored during school hours. I f I don’t answer a call immediately, I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Looking forward to working with you during the year.

Lisa Sheehy

Advice for Parents

Here are 2 very useful websites for parents/ guardians to help you decide when it is ok to send your child to school or childcare, and what to do if your child has symptoms of Covid-19.

1. https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/covid19/preventing-the-spread/child-returning-to-school-or-childcare/
  2. https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/covid19/symptoms/symptoms-child/

Back to school advice for new school year

Back to school advice for parents and children

Below are guidance and videos with some back to school advice for parents and children attending primary school. You are encouraged to watch these videos with your child before they return to school.

VIDEOS

Back to school advice for parents- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbsH11wOByM

Junior Infants- https://youtu.be/UomH_vakjDI

Senior Infants to second class- https://youtu.be/4smnni5jpGI

Third to sixth class- https://youtu.be/8fWeCikohlA

Posters

You can get more advice on these posters.

1. Advice for parents- Back to School Poster 1
  2. Back to school advice for Parents Poster 2

You can read this advice in other languages here.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/0cf46-resources-and-materials-for-parentsguardians-and-for-students-on-returning-to-school-multi-lingual/

School Calendar 2021-22

Click here- School Calendar, 2021-22 -to download our school calendar for 2021-22.

School hours are 9.00 a.m. to 2.40 p.m. for all classes from 1st to 6th.

Junior and Senior Infants- 9.00 a.m. to 1.40 p.m.

If there is any change to school hours, parents/ guardians will be notified in advance.

We urge you to ensure that your child is punctual.

By coming frequently late, a pupil may miss a considerable amount of class time.

Our motto is “Better late than never”.

Second Class – First Penance

2nd class pupils celebrated the Sacrament of First Penance with

Fr. Eugene in the school hall on Thursday May 20th, 2021.

In-person Supplementary Programme to Support the Education or Care Needs of Pupils with Complex Needs during this period of school closure

Read the document here. DES Guidance for parents – Supplementary Programme 04.02.21

Category: Uncategorised | Comments Off on In-person Supplementary Programme to Support the Education or Care Needs of Pupils with Complex Needs during this period of school closure

Free Fitness Classes from School Fitness Ireland

With the government making it clear that there will be no full return to School in February, School Fitness Ireland have decided to make access FREE to every child in the country for the month of February.

As the Number 1 Outsourced PE Provider in the country, 
we want to bring Fun and Structured PE to every child.
FREE Access to our After School Club until the end of February.
This Free Access Link is Valid from February 1st – February 28th.
https://club.schoolfitnessireland.com/register/free-access-until-feb-28th-2021/
Monday – Friday @ 2:30 p.m a new class is uploaded
Each class is available to children whenever wanted so that they can …
Pause, Rewind and Learn all at their own pace.
These Classes are Specifically Designed to:
1.) Keep Kids Engaged for a Full 30 minutes
2.) Help Kids to Find the Fun in Fitness
3.) Encourage Kids to Develop a Deep Rooted Love for Fitness
School Fitness Ireland
Pollardstown,
Mitchelstown,
Co. Cork.
P67 AN29
Email us: schoolfitnessireland@gmail.com / Call us: 021- 21 20 439

Rte supporting Learning at Home

Home School Hub on RTE, Mon 18-01-21 to Fri 22-01-21

If you want to plan out your entire week, or just take it day by day, this is the place where you will find a daily breakdown of what is happening on Home School Hub.

Not only is there a heads-up of what is happening in class, there are also links to the worksheets to go with them for you.

Worksheets for first and second class – https://www.rte.ie/learn/1st-and-2nd-class/

Worksheets for third and fourth class – https://www.rte.ie/learn/3rd-and-4th-class/

Worksheets for 5th and 6th class – https://www.rte.ie/learn/5th-and-6th-class/

Here is what the week ahead looks like, so tune in to RTÉ2 from 10am til 12 noon! Don’t forget that After School Hub is on every weekday afternoon at 3.15pm.

https://www.rte.ie/learn/home-school-hub/2021/0115/1189903-home-school-hub-18-january/

More on Rte -learn to draw with Will

https://www.rte.ie/learn/2020/0410/1129796-we-will-draw-learn-how-to-draw-with-will-sliney/

Quiz time

https://www.rte.ie/learn/home-school-hub/2021/0115/1190012-its-quiz-time/

Art competition-closing date 31-Jan.

https://www.rte.ie/learn/2020/1127/1180877-this-is-art-online-gallery-competition/

Accessing Seesaw on Games Consoles

Seesaw Access Via Games Consoles

Seesaw can be accessed via phones, tablets, laptops, PC’s, Xbox Live, PS4 or Kindle Fire. Parents can see what the children are working on and comment. Staff can set work and respond and can also track progress and standards.

Accessing Seesaw via Xbox

1) Plug in a keyboard into USB

2) Go into – My games – Apps

3) Find Microsoft Edge and Select

4) Go to https://web.seesaw.me/ (or search for Seesaw via Google)

5) To move around you can use Xbox controller or add a mouse

Accessing Seesaw via Playstation

1) Identify the Playstation Internet Browser icon (it is www with dots)

2) Press the Playstation logo on the controller

3) Go into the library and find options for games and applications

4) Go to Applications and you will find the Internet Browser

5) Go to https://web.seesaw.me/ (or search for Seesaw via Google)

6) To move around you can use Xbox controller or add a mouse

Online Family Activites & Supports

https://www.schooldays.ie/articles/Online-family-activities-supports-and-events

Click here for links to lots of useful services and businesses who were previously offering family friendly in-venue activities and supports and are now providing online services during Covid-19.

FREE Online Camp for children

FREE NEW YEAR CAMP FOR ALL! 🎉🎞💫🌟💥
Happy, Happy 2021 to you all!

After hearing about another lockdown, The STARCAMP team got together and we have decided to KICK START 2021 in the most positive way that we could by rolling out our fantastically fun, uplifting, unique Online Camp for every single child in Ireland for FREE, simply to give back to the world in a time of need.

The intention was to sell the experience to children for the mid term, but we strongly feel that every child in Ireland deserves a feel good start to a brand new year… And every parent deserves to get something for FREE after the year they’ve had! (They’ve also earned some quiet time!)

Having cost thousands to create, produce and record, Aideen and her team spent weeks (months) preparing, writing, making, editing these 5 x 90 minute programs for children.

Contributors include Keith Barry (showing us magic tricks) and Don Conroy (giving drawing lessons) along with lots of the usual STARCAMP team teaching everything from science experiments, baking, games & jokes to music, dance & drama!

The Online Camp (which can be watched over 5 days or all at once) can be availed of completely free of charge by signing up to it from NOW at www.starcamp.ie Simply go to ‘Virtual Camp – Jan 21’ at the top of the page, fill in your details and a link will then be emailed back to you which you can log into from Monday morning!

We hope that your child will get to enjoy what has been created for the sole purpose of making children smile and feel good!

Wishing you all that you dream of for yourselves and more for 2021! (PS DREAM BIG ⭐️)…

❤️ From all at STARCAMP HQ

Www.STARCAMP.ie

Please feel free to tag and share with those who you think might like some STARCAMP Happiness and Magic ✨✨✨ (suitable for kids from 4 to 12).

Fundraiser result

Many thanks to all who donated generously to our Christmas jumper dress-up day. 332 euro was divided equally between Crumlin Hospital and Down Syndrome Tipperary.

Christmas jumpers fundraiser

In St Joseph’s School, we will be holding our Christmas jumper fundraiser on Friday 18th of December. We are raising money for The Children’s Hospital in Crumlin and for Down Syndrome Ireland.

Pupils and staff are welcome to wear a Christmas jumper if they have one. They may also wear any festive accessories such as a Santa hat, Christmas hair-band/ earrings, etc.

We realise that it might be difficult to source Christmas jumpers at the moment so parents could add even some tinsel to their daughter’s favourite jumper.

Please donate to two very worthy causes.

Free wellbeing classes for parents

Free Wellbeing class for parents in Tipperary starting in January. Come join other parents in the town with this enjoyable mixture of Fitness, Walking, Yoga, Chi Gong, Mindfulness & Meditation and Self-care. It promises to be some well earned “Me time” after the Christmas Rush.

Contact our Liaison Teacher Annette on 087 3608914 to book. Places limited and socially distanced. This class will be held in a venue downtown to be confirmed.

Free Online Games to practise Multiplication Tables

Practising multiplication tables can be a lot more fun using some of these free games.

1. https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button
  2. https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/mental-maths-train
  3. https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/daily10
  4. https://mathsframe.co.uk/en/resources/resource/306/Maths-Fishing-Multiplication
  5. https://coolsciencelab.com/math_magician.html    You may need to enable Flash to play this game.  Get instructions here – https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6258784?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Free online safety webinars

Free online safety webinars 27th Oct + 4th Nov. Register at www.barnardos.ie/osp
Very useful info and tips for parents to keep children safe online which is especially important now. We encourage you to take part. Spaces are limited so book early. These webinars are short and give parents excellent, easy and practical things you can do now to keep your daughter safe while learning online.

Take a look at St Joseph’s.

Over the last few weeks, there have been some changes to our school in order to comply with advice re COVID-19. You and your child won’t need to memorise these changes – we are looking forward to seeing our pupils return, and we will be delighted to explain everything to them in school.

Pupil tables are organised in small groups/ spaced out around the room. There are hand-sanitizers inside the door of every classroom. A sink with thermostat has been fitted in every classroom. Teachers’ tables have had perspex screens fitted.

The yard has been divided into zones, marked out with paint and signs. There are lines showing students where to line up in each zone. Teachers will collect their class from the zone at their start time.

Check out these photos to give you an idea of what the school looks like now.

COVID-19 Response Plan and Policy Statement

In accordance with the ‘Return to Work Safely Protocol’ issued by the Government, all employers are required to prepare a COVID-19 Response Plan. This applies to all Boards of Management of Primary and Special Schools. The Department of Education and Science (DES) published the following plan on 27th July 2020 and it will be used as is by all schools.

COVID-19 Response plan for primary and special schools

COVID-19_Policy Statement for St. Joseph’s Primary School

Update regarding uniforms for the start of this school year

Regarding Uniforms
Parents / Guardians,
We have had some queries regarding the wearing of uniforms in September .
The current advice is as follows:
Uniforms will be worn as normal with best practice that children will change out of their uniform after school.
Please see attached article.
Thank you,
Ms. Tobin

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5693381/tanaiste-leo-varadkar-school-uniforms-worn-return-to-schools-august/

Booklists and other expenses for back to school

Click HERE to see your daughter’s booklist for September 2020.

The booklist for 1st class has been updated to include the following handwriting books:
Mrs Murphy's 1st class Copies (pack), CURSIVE, from B.C.M. Publishing.

Click HERE to view other requisites such as Book Rental cost, homework journal, etc.

A guide to help children with the move to secondary school

Earlier this year, Folens launched a practical guide for parents to help support their children with this transition, authored by experienced counsellor and teacher Graham Richmond. 

This booklet includes advice on several different topics including the practicalities of adapting to a new timetable, screentime etc.

You can view the booklet here.

folens-primary-to-post-primary-transition-booklet

Graham gives talks and webinars to parents and can be contacted at richmondpresentations@gmail.com

Preparing your child for starting/ going back to school?

As children prepare to return to early learning and childcare services or make the move to pre-school and school for the first time, parents can be assured that there are a number of actions they can take at home to support these important transitions. Click on the link to learn more.

https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/1e8a3-lets-get-ready/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/letsgetready/

President Higgins records message of hope and thanks for students in primary schools

President Michael D. Higgins has today issued special video messages for students in 6th class of primary school.

Schools across Ireland have been closed since the evening of Thursday 12 March, disrupting the lives of thousands of students all around the country.

In his message to the 6th class students, the President acknowledges the disruptions to students’ lives, and the disappointment associated with the cancellation of so many planned events. The President also sends his best wishes to the students, as they say good-bye to their primary school years.

The President’s messages are available here:

Message to sixth class students

Well done for receiving 10th Green Flag.

The 2019/2020 academic year marks the 23rd year of the Green-Schools programme in Ireland. Despite the temporary closure of schools in March, schools submitted their Green Flag applications after a two-year effort to create sustainable environments in their schools. In St. Joseph’s Primary School, we are very lucky to have Ms. Carmel Hickey in charge of Green Schools, and we say a huge “Thank you” to everyone else who is involved- staff, pupils, parents, local community, ….

During May, 750 schools were awarded the Green Flag for their work on the themes of Litter & Waste, Energy, Water, Travel, Biodiversity and Global Citizenship. Green-Schools wishes to congratulate all Green-Schools students, school staff and families who helped schools in achieving and renewing the Green Flag 2020! Join in on the celebrations virtually for lots of #GreenFlag2020 celebrations! Click on the links to hear lots of video messages from Green-Schools Officers, Environmental Awareness Officers and Sponsors who are all so proud of your wonderful achievements!

Green-Schools Officers congratulate Green Flag schools 2020

https://youtu.be/UpthsVEuLYE

#GreenFlag2020 celebrations

https://youtu.be/BWi3iyuI4_Y

Green-Schools 2020 Savings

https://youtu.be/x0tQh97fYM0

Medal Presentation May 2020

Please see the link attached to our video to celebrate the Winning of The County Final by our U 13 Ladies Football Team on the 12th November 2019.

Congratulations to you all for your part in this wonderful achievement.

Reminders:
The video plays best on a laptop or PC not a phone.
The video is for school purposes only not to be shared on social media.

We hope you enjoy the video.

Medal Presentation May 2020

Wild Art Competition

Children up to 18 years of age are invited to enter our WildArt competition. 

Express your creativity about Irish Wildlife by drawing, painting, building models or creating collages. Click the link to read all about it. 

WildArt

Titanic -Art and Story Competition

KIDS ART & STORY COMPETITION.

We are delighted to announce this fantastic competition for our younger Titanic enthusiasts. Something to keep them challenged and entertained over the next few weeks and fits right in with the history curriculum for April! Check out our video for details!
http://bit.ly/titaniccompetition

There is some great information and inspiration to be found on the National Geographic Kids website. Just check out the link below.
https://www.natgeokids.com/ie/discover/history/general-history/would-you-have-survived-the-titanic/
Please share or Tag anyone with kids who might be interested!
Full Terms & Conditions outlined on our Facebook Page http://bit.ly/titaniccompetitionterms
Good Luck everyone!

Dogs Trust – Competition and Resources

The Dogs Trust Education team are hosting a short story competition.

The details of the competition can be found on our website https://www.learnwithdogstrust.ie/whats-happening/

We are taking entries up until May 1st, and all entries can be sent to education@dogstrust.ie

We hope some of your students might take part as we’re sure there is a huge interest in dogs in your school.

You also might be interested to know that we have multiple free downloadable resources on our website that are all curriculum linked, and cater to all levels of primary school https://www.learnwithdogstrust.ie/resources/

Cúla4-Plan for week 2

Cúla4 ar Scoil – Week 2

The theme this week on Cúla4 ar Scoil is ‘Clothes’.  Múinteoir Caitríona will teach the different types of clothes. Múinteoir Fiachra will be debate ‘Should school children have to wear uniforms?’

We will also be looking at where clothes come from, and learning about the history of shorts, and how they are so popular after 150 years.

Join Cúla4 ar Scoil Monday to Friday from 10am. Lessons from the programmes are available on YouTube Cúla4 and catch-up with programmes you’ve missed on Cúla4.com

School on TV

Reminder

The Home School Hub on RTE 2 at 11 every week day is a worthwhile programme for your child, with a follow up slot at 4.15 and resources on their website https://www.rte.ie/learn/home-school-hub/.

Cula4 ar Scoil is on TG4 every week day at 10 am if your child would like to brush up on her Irish.

Another colouring competition and internet webinar from Zeeko

Schools, parents and pupils face new challenges from learning remotely. To support each group Zeeko has provided the FREE resources below which you are free to share/forward. The worksheet/drawing competition compliments the Zeeko parent/ guardians webinar by reinforcing the key messages from the webinar. The content aligns with the SPHE curriculum.
WORKSHEET/DRAWING COMPETITION
Here is a worksheet for primary school children to learn how to use the internet safely through co-use and discussion. Also, children are encouraged to connect with their loved ones during isolation to practice the key learning points.
Download HERE

WEBINAR
Manage your Child’s Digital Footprint
Today children create a digital identity without any oversight. This FREE 45 minute webinar will help parents/ guardians of primary school children understand how to actively manage their family’s digital footprint.
Date: Wednesday the 22nd of April at 20:00
Register HERE

Dr Conor’s Lockdown History for Kidz!

Welcome to Dr Conor’s Lockdown History for Kidz!

I am Dr Conor Reidy and on the first Wednesday of every month I contribute the Tipperary Hidden Histories slot on Tipp Today on Tipp FM! I am a professional historian, editor and former lecturer.

This list provides a fun way for children to enjoy the study of History at home during our temporary lockdown. The suggestions are divided into different categories of interest including the Vikings, the Great Famine, Mythology, Ancient Egypt, the 1918 Influenza Pandemic, as well as other topics.

This is not designed to substitute or supplement Irish primary school teaching. It is intended as a fun way of learning History with suggestions for activities to help children fill all this spare time!

It does not matter if some of the material featured here is not part of the school curriculum. History is History. Learning is Learning. Keeping young minds occupied and active with verified facts that will fascinate, is all that matters.

Much of this can be enjoyed by the child or children on their own and there are many activities that parents can set after the videos are viewed as a way to keep their interest alive. I will make some activity suggestions at the end of this list, but you may have your own!

While the videos are child-friendly, you may wish to check out some of the darker topics in advance to ensure that they are suitable for your own individual family.

Enjoy!
Dr Conor

PS. I included a few random selections for parents and guardians at the end!

Lockdown History Booklet

More colouring competitions and webinars from Zeeko

Schools, parents and pupils have new challenges from learning remotely. To support each group Zeeko has provided the FREE resources below which you are free to share/forward. The worksheet/drawing competition compliments the Zeeko webinar by reinforcing the key messages from the webinar. The content aligns with the SPHE curriculum.
WEEKLY WORKSHEET/DRAWING COMPETITION
Here is a drawing competition for primary school children to learn how to use the internet safely through co-use and discussion. Also, children are encouraged to connect with their loved ones during isolation to practice the key learning points.
Closing Date for Entries: Friday the 10th of April
Download HERE

WEEKLY WEBINAR
Becoming a ‘Safety Mediator’ – Assist your Family to Safely Benefit from the Internet
Today family life is invaded by multiple digital devices! This 45 minute webinar will help parents/guardians of primary school children understand how to actively mediate their families’ digital lives.
Date: Wednesday the 8th of April at 20:00
Register HERE
Best Regards
Joe Kenny
Zeeko Founder

K7 Maths

K7maths

For Infants to First Year Teachers

SOME GOOD HOME-SCHOOLING NEWS
* K7Maths has completed linking our resources to the Mathematics Curriculum.
* Our resources are now available to all teachers and parents to use at this time.

FREE 25 WEEK LOGIN TO K7MATHS
* All teachers and parents are welcome to create a 25 week login to K7Maths.

TO CREATE A LOGIN
* Go to www.k7maths.com
* Click on ‘Start your 180 trial’
* There is no obligation to subscribe at any time.

Resources Available at K7Maths
* We have a very extensive list of resources that will support your:
– Planning
– Teaching
– Assessing
– Home-schooling

Home-schooling Hint
* A quick and easy way to support your parents with our resources is via email.

* For any K7Maths Activity:
– Download it to your PC.
– Attach it to an email.
– Send to parents with your notes.

* For any K7Maths links to Videos, Games, PowerPoints:
– Copy and paste the link to an email.
– Send to parents with your notes.

Support
* Email peter@k7maths.com for all support.

Resources for Teachers and Students on Scoilnet

Scoilnet has a number of home usage supports for teachers and students to benefit from. All of the supports below are FREE and do not require registration or sign-in.
These tools include:

1. Scoilnet Website – Students and teachers can access over 20,000 resources shared by Primary and Post-Primary teachers anytime, anywhere. Search materials by class/year group, subject, strand, and learning outcomes.
  2. World Book Online – All students in the Republic of Ireland have open and free home access to World Book Online. World Book is a trusted encyclopedia containing thousands of informational articles with stunning illustrations, videos, interactive maps, research help, and activities.
    NEW! World Book Online has created a guide to distance learning resources on World Book Online for parents and educators.
  3. Scoilnet Dedicated Subject Pages – The Scoilnet Team are working hard to bring teachers and students dedicated Post-Primary subject pages where they will find teacher-shared collections, collections by organisations, and what’s in demand or popular on Scoilnet right now for their subject area.
    Choose from: MathsScienceIrishEnglishHistoryModern Foreign LanguagesGeographyPolitics and Society.
  4. Scoilnet Themepages – Primary school teachers and students can access subject-based themed pages. Each theme-page presents a set of links and resources on a particular topic.

Incredible Edibles

Hi,

Agri Aware, Ireland’s agri-food educational charity have relaunched their popular primary school programme Incredible Edibles and opened it up to families to participate during this time of isolation and school closures. 

Since food has been flying off the shelves in many supermarkets across Ireland, Agri Aware are encouraging families to learn all about where that food comes from and the importance of consumption of Irish fruit and vegetables, for a healthy balanced diet.

There are five tasks to complete in this Family Challenge, on topics such as food origin, identifying Irish food, planting, cooking and healthy eating week. Any parent can sign up their kids for free and on completion of the 5 tasks, may be in with a chance to win some prizes worth up to €175.

Parents are simply asked to take pictures of the worksheets given and write a simple description on what they did for each task. There are also two levels to facilitate different abilities of learning, beginner and advanced.

To sign up to this free project, or for more information, visit: www.incredibleedibles.ie

Please note: This is an add on to the project to adapt to current times and encourage those at home to participate in agri-food education. We would like to get as many students participating at home as possible and would greatly appreciate if you could help us spread the word by sending this out to your students if possible, or sign up yourselves with your own family!
Kind Regards,
Eilis Greene
Programme and Events Manager
Agri Aware

Message from Conradh na Gaeilge

Message from Conradh na Gaeilge(Click on the link to read in Irish)

https://mailchi.mp/233ed46e4e31/nuachtlitir-mh-aibrein-cnamh-don-covid?e=38cdca3daf

We hope you and your family are safe and well.

Because of Covid-19, we, like many other organizations, have had to find other ways to run events and campaigns. We hope to provide you with support and assistance in the coming weeks with the contents of this newsletter. And if there is anything else we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact school@cnag.ie.

Sincerely,

Conradh na Gaeilge Youth Team

The Home Show

As a result of Covid-19 we have decided to amend the Roadshow and adapt it to school students at home. We are adapting the workshop online as a webinar.
This workshop is suitable for secondary school students aged 15-17, usually transition year. No need to worry about the standard of pupils’ Irish, the workshop can be conducted bilingually if required.

For those who have already done the Roadshow during the 2019/20 school year, we are currently developing other workshops that will be ready later in the school year.

Sign up for the Home Show here!

10 Most Useful Resources

We’ve been keeping an eye out for teacher resources and have put together a list of the top ten of ours.
1. Cultúr Club – a series of free workbooks for children aged 6 – 16 available to download for free
2. PEIG.ie Newsletter  – a daily newsletter with the main news stories in Irish
3. Raidió Rí-Rá – the only station in Irish for young people
4. Twinkl.ie– a site offering free content. Lots of stuff in Irish
5. Short Movies – a collection of the best short films in Irish, provided by TG4
6. Mythbusting – a series of videos breaking the biggest myths about Irish
7. 3rd Level Workshops – for those thinking of a career with Irish
8. Physical Education in Irish – videos of youth and other exercise in Irish
9.Podcasts in Irish – list of podcasts in Irish
10. Online Events in Irish – events still being held during quarantine – this one for you!

The Morning Praise

Every morning on Conradh na Gaeilge’s accounts we are sending out a recommendation for Irish in the home. The recommendations are varied and vary for school pupils, parents and teachers. We’re on  Instagram ,  Twitter , Facebook and Snapchat, if you don’t follow us already!

The National Collection
For the first time in 100 years, Conradh na Gaeilge has had to cancel its national collection.

We regretted this decision, having organized collections for over 120 years but made it for the health and safety of branches, volunteers and supporters around the country.

The organization, both locally and nationally, will be deeply affected by this decision. We are grateful for any support that can be provided in the meantime by donations at  bit.ly/volunteering , or by sending a text with the word GAEILGE to 50300.

Donate here http://bit.ly/deonaigh

Online Quizzes-Are you up for the challenge?

Seomra Ranga Quizzes

Can you complete these quizzes online, doing any necessary research to find the answers? The solutions are available on the Seomra Ranga page on Facebook.

Unfortunately it is now too late to enter your answers in the competition.

https://www.seomraranga.com/2020/03/stay-at-home-quiz-1/

https://www.seomraranga.com/2020/03/stay-at-home-quiz-2/

https://www.seomraranga.com/2020/03/stay-at-home-quiz-3/

https://www.seomraranga.com/2020/03/stay-at-home-quiz-4/

https://www.seomraranga.com/2020/03/stay-at-home-quiz-5/

https://www.seomraranga.com/2020/03/stay-at-home-quiz-6/

https://www.seomraranga.com/2020/03/stay-at-home-quiz-7/

https://www.seomraranga.com/2020/03/stay-at-home-quiz-8/

https://www.seomraranga.com/2020/03/stay-at-home-quiz-no-9/

https://www.seomraranga.com/2020/03/stay-at-home-quiz-no-10/

For all Harry Potter Fans

Calling all Potter fans! Unlock family fun in lockdown with a simple Alohomora and JK Rowling’s brand-new ‘Harry Potter At Home’ hub. Whether you’re a muggle or wizard, this free online space is designed to help you and your little ones discover the magic of Harry Potter from the comfort of your very own home. With everything from videos, puzzles, illustrations, quizzes, creative ideas, articles and so much more magical fun being added daily, this platform is bound to keep both young and older wizards occupied for hours on end – you’ll truly be kept under the spell! Whether you’re a huge fan of the books, watched the movies over and over again or have never so much as heard of Hogwarts, there’s something for everyone to get stuck into and make the most of. …. from kidadl.com

Click the links to find out more!

https://blog.kidadl.com/articles/jk-rowling-has-launched-harry-potter-at-home-for-kids-in-lockdown

https://www.buzz.ie/entertainment/j-k-rowling-launches-harry-potter-home-362288?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=web

Webinar for Parents-Balancing your child’s time online and offline

WEBINAR
How to help your child balance their online and offline lives during isolation.
This FREE 45 minute webinar will help parents of primary school children understand the challenges and opportunities of online and offline activities during isolation. Tips will be given to support parents to effectively manage excessive internet use.
Date: Wednesday the 1st of April at 8pm
Register HERE

Flags for Frontline Heroes

Flags For Frontline Heroes

Hang your Flags – Club, County, Provincial or National, to show your support for Frontline workers during the COVID 19 crisis.
Supported by:
IPPN, INTO, NAPD, TUI, ASTI and several sporting organisations.
Read more here.

Flags

Computer coding challenges

https://code.org/break?utm_source=pre-episode&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=code-break-2020&utm_term=episode-2&utm_content=code-break

Online Resources for Children with Special Educational Needs

In addition to the normal supports, the NCSE is providing online resources for children with Special Educational Needs who are at home as a result of the schools’ closure.

https://ncse.ie/online-resources

Click here for Parental Booklet on Sensory Processing

Click here for Parental Booklet for Developing Gross Motor Skills

Click here for Parental Booklet for Fine and Gross Motor Skills

The following materials have been developed by Occupational Therapists and Speech and Language Therapists. More resources will be added in the coming days.

TOP TIPS! for Primary School Age Children

See combined SLT and OT Top Tips sheets for parents:

Click here for TOP TIPS! Junior and Senior Infants
Click here for TOP TIPS! 1st and 2nd Class
Click here for TOP TIPS! 3rd and 4th Class
Click here for TOP TIPS! 5th and 6th Class

Additional Speech & Language Therapy Resources

Click here for Book Talk – Supporting Interactive Reading
Click here for An Oral and Written Storytelling Resource for Parents
Click here for useful websites

Matific- free access to Maths games, and more

Due to school closures across Ireland, Matific would like to assist you by providing complimentary access to our full resource for 60 days with no further obligation. We are here to help.

Matific is an award-winning digital maths resource for primary schools with thousands of interactive activities, worksheets, word problems, practice assessments and more, all mapped to your curriculum. It is the perfect resource to use as a distance learning tool as teachers can easily assign activities and check results with our live and comprehensive reporting system.

If your school would like to take up this complimentary access, simply click below.

https://www.matific.com/ie/en-gb/home/complimentary-teacher/

Free access to “Sounds Like Phonics”, C J Fallons

CJ Fallon hopes you and your pupils are keeping safe and well during these difficult times. As we cannot come to visit you, we would like to tell you about our new phonics programme and the digital games that you can use with your pupils right now and for FREE! You and your pupils’ parents can also access the ebooks for FREE during this home schooling period. Simply click here and filter to your required title.

Sounds Like Phonics is a phonics programme for Junior Infants to Second Class.
For FREE use of the excellent online resources, click here

Covid-19 resources in a range of languages

The Department of Health and the HSE have produced Covid-19 resources in a range of languages other than Irish and English which you can access below:

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/partner-resources/covid-19-translated-resources/

The languages currently available are Chinese, Italian, Spanish, French, Arabic, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Latvian and Lithuanian.

Access to CJ Fallons

To help you and your pupils during this difficult time, CJ Fallon would like to make you aware of a number of free online resources. All our digital resources are now located on the Quick Links page https://www.cjfallon.ie/quick-links/. You can reach it from our CJ Fallon homepage (top right hand corner).
You and your pupils can enjoy FREE access to the Rainbow Oral Language Programme from 3rd to 6th Class. You will find the online lessons, the fortnightly notes and the Teacher’s Resource Book to guide you through the new curriculum here https://rainbow3to6.cjfallon.ie/. You will find more information on the programme here.
The new Sounds Like Phonics programme (for Junior Infants to 2nd Class) also has a range of accompanying interactives that you can use FREE with your pupils here https://slp.cjfallon.ie/. You will find more information on the programme here.
CJ Fallon is here to support you during this challenging time, so please get in touch if there is anything we can help you with. For more information, please contact your local sales representative or contact us at sales@cjfallon.ie
Kind regards,
CJ Fallon

Free access to folens online

To lend a helping hand to schools and parents over the coming weeks Folens are giving access to all our digital resources on FolensOnline.ie.

Parents and teachers can follow the steps below to get access:

1. Go to FolensOnline.ie and click register
  2. Select Teacher
  3. Fill in a username, email and password
  4. For Roll Number use the code:  Prim20

NOTE for Teachers:  if you already have an account on FolensOnline but want to access all our resources simply create a new account with a different email address.

Daily explorer challenges

Designer Minds is Ireland’s largest provider of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Design and Maths) after-school clubs, summer camps and workshops! We pride ourselves on providing kids at our clubs and camps with access to a huge variety of different kits and equipment, which they may not always have access to in school or at home. However, for our Daily Explorer challenges, we realised that we needed to keep it simple, so our challenges can be done with equipment that we hope most houses should have.

Please feel free to share our Daily Explorer Challenges with the parents of your children and invite them to share on the appropriate thread on the Designer Minds FB page!

We’ve had a great response so far, and have seen the positive effect our challenges are having at this difficult time, for our current customers, for our Irish fans on Facebook, and even for our fans outside of Ireland; we received the following from a past customer from Italy: “As you know in Italy (we’re exactly from Milan/ Lombardia unfortunately the worst district) we’re fronting a terrible challenge and receiving your Daily Explorer email made us feel warmer, like a virtual hug…

You can find a new challenge posted each day to our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/designerminds.ie/ People who don’t have a Facebook account can sign up to our email newsletter to receive the challenge into their inbox by completing the form at https://designerminds.ie/contact

We’ve had 4 challenges so far, with links below.

Back Issues
Issue 1: Newspaper Tower
Issue 2: Colour Diffusion
Issue 3: Coding
Issue 4: St Patrick’s Day Art

Free online access to text books

Ed-Co and Gill and Macmillan are giving free online access to textbooks, in case your child didn’t bring home all their books.

Looking for schoolwork to do at home?

Twinkl are offering all parents and teachers a One Month FREE Ultimate Membership to Twinkl.ie. This will allow parents and teachers unlimited access to every single resource for every single curriculum subject from junior infants to sixth class.

Setting this up is really easy to do – go to www.twinkl.ie/offer and enter the code IRLTWINKLHELPS. We’d like your support to get this message out. We’ve also put together some guidance which outlines several ideas for how schools can support parents during school closures. Please visit the Twinkl blog for more information. This code will only work for new memberships. If you are an existing member with a Core or Extra membership, please get in touch and they will upgrade you to Ultimate right away.

Coding with Scratch

Today was our first of 5 coding classes with Mobile IT, from Bruff. All classes from Junior Infants to 6th Class started on Scratch or Junior Scratch Coding. Everyone had great fun.

Scratch and Junior Scratch are both available to download for free on laptops or iPads.

https://scratch.mit.edu/

or in an App Store.

Jersey Day – Jan 17th

Pupils wore their county colours or other jerseys in school today and brought donations to help support Cumann na mBunscol.

School closure

St. Joseph’s School will be closed on Monday Jan 13th: teachers will be attending an in-service course on the new Primary Language Curriculum.

Look Back – Coding with Lego and iPads

The girls from Rooms 9 and 11 had great fun creating with Lego and then using the iPads, they created a set of coding instructions to make their creation move.

Junior Infants Christmas Show

Junior Infants put on a wonderful display of songs and poems today(19-12-2019). Well done to the girls, their teacher Ms. Dunne and everyone who helped make this a very entertaining Christmas show.

Here are some pictures of the girls in action!

Watch the video and listen to our choir.

This is from the

Choirs for Christmas concert, with St. Josephs Primary School singing & it’s given us that festive gingerbread feeling!

🎄

We can’t wait to welcome friends & family home!

Catch the full recording at 1pm XmasDay on buff.ly/2qCc3uI

All Shook Up!

Well done to the Transition Year students and teachers from St. Anne’s and The Abbey on your wonderful performance in the Excel of “All Shook Up”. Our pupils from 4th, 5th and 6th enjoyed the show along with their teachers.

Make a Mini Christmas Cake

Make a Mini Christmas Cake

Free class on Dec 10th for Parents/Carers of Children in Tipperary Town Schools.
Make a mini Christmas cake & decorate it.
Limited places
Contact: Annette Kiely

Mobile: 087 6404608
Email: annetteuichadhla@gmail.com

After School Childcare Subsidy

National Childcare Scheme – Government Universal Subsidy launching on November 20th!

Have you registered yet on my gov website?

KIDS INC AFTER SCHOOL – AVAILABLE IN YOUR SCHOOL now – CALL Aine or Gillian on 01 6215790. Government subsidy for After School fees!

Dear Parent, 

A new childcare scheme is being launched this month – November – that provides a Government subsidy to After School childcare fees.The subsidy is means tested and is available to all parents who have an income of less than €64,000 per annum.The subsidy will vary between €3.75 per hour and €0.33 per hour depending on your income.

The number of hours the subsidy will be available for is between 17 and 12 hours per week depending on the child’s class. Note 40 hours per week is available outside term time. You must register with Gov website before you can claim the subsidy. Please click on the below links for access to a video explanation about the scheme provided by the Department of Children.

National Childcare Scheme info

Information Leaflet

FAQs for Parents

Call Gillian or Aine on 01 6215790 for details or email us on afterschools@kidsinc.ie or aine@kidsinc.ie or Gillian@kidsinc.ie

Kind Regards,
Jenny Browne
Marketing & Social Media Executive

Launch of the SVP Christmas Food Appeal

Well done to all the girls from St Joseph’s on their beautiful singing at the St Vincent de Paul Headquarters in Dublin. A huge thank you to our wonderful music teacher, Helen Colbert. We were delighted to sing at the launch of the Christmas Food Appeal. We were also really happy to meet Ryan Tubridy.

U13 County Champions!

Congratulations to our U13 football team who won the County Championship today in Cashel. Well done girls!

Thanks to trainers, teachers, parents and to the girls themselves, and anyone else involved in getting the girls as far as the County Final.

2020- English classes for parents

Do you have a child in school in Tipperary town?

Is your first language something other than English?

Are you interested in improving your English?

Click on this article to find out more about English classes which are due to start in St. Joseph’s Primary School in January 2020. Contact details are included in the article.

2020_ESOL in the Schools- Tipperary Town

Every School Day Counts

Every School Day Counts

This initiative will be running for the month of November in our school. We are promoting high attendance, and running an in-school competition for the class with the best or most improved attendance.

Fifth and Sixth class will be entering an Art/Slogan Competition around the theme of the importance of good school attendance and all entries will be displayed in St Ailbe’s School Hall. Students are invited to attend on Friday 6th December at a time TBC where the winner will be announced by a local celebrity.

Our Family Liaison Teacher, Annette Kiely, is with us each Friday and is available to help with any issues around attendance, transportation, parenting or your child’s education in general. Please do not hesitate to contact her in school on Fridays, or by email: annetteuichadhla@gmail.com

Can’t Stop The Beat! in St. Ailbe’s

Congratulations to the staff and pupils of St. Ailbe’s School on their wonderful performance of “Can’t Stop The Beat”. Our whole school really enjoyed your show. It was great to see some of our past pupils taking part.

Well done!

Under 13 Football

Congratulations to our Under 13 football team on their win today!

We’re all looking forward to the County Final.

Jersey Day for GOAL

This Friday the 11th of October is GOAL Jersey Day across schools and businesses in Ireland. As part of our Green Schools Theme, Global Citizenship, 6th class are organising Jersey Day for our school. Everyone is invited to wear a jersey to school. It can be any jersey (GAA/ Rugby/ Soccer/ Athletics/ Basketball/ Club/ County etc.) and if pupils don’t have a jersey maybe they could borrow one from a relative, sibling etc. A small contribution to GOAL (fighting global hunger) would be great and 6th class have a collection box for this. We’re hoping pupils will enjoy it!

The Liam McCarthy Cup in St. Josephs 3/10/2019

Waiting for the cups to arrive…

6th class sang “When I play for the County”. We all followed with Slievenamon and finished with Ireland’s Call, to send our best wishes to the Irish Team in Japan. 

Thanks for the lovely music.

Then everyone wanted their photo taken with the cups.

Up Tipp!

Thanks to Mrs. O’ Brien and 3rd and 4th class for the lovely words they recited about Tipperary’s successes this year. They were excited to have their photo taken first.

Singing in Leinster House

On Friday 20th September, we were delighted to have the opportunity to attend the Dáil 100 culture evening in Leinster House. The girls in 5th and 6th class travelled by bus to Dublin with some staff where we spoke to Deputy Michael Lowry. We had a guided tour around Leinster House, learning some of its history and seeing the Seanad and Dáil Chambers. Our guide told us all about the Proclamation of Independence, why the ink on the lower page of the page is paler because the men and women in the GPO were running out of ink on Easter Sunday 1916; we also learned about some other irregularities in the printing, like the letter F that was edited to make an E.  Later we had lunch in the visitors’ canteen, followed by the sound checks before performing five songs. You can hear us singing on the Houses of the Oireachtas Facebook page.

After we sang, the 5th class pupils got their faces painted.

Great News For Tipperary Town Primary Schools

After a 3 year wait  the pupils of the 5 Primary Schools in Tipperary Town will return to school in September with additional resources to help them access their Primary education.
Two protest marches – March 4 Tipp took place in the town in Sept. and Oct. 2018 and the issue of education and the lack of additional resources and DEIS in Tipp Town schools was to the fore, with huge numbers of parents, children and teachers marching on both days.
Deputy Michael Lowry attended both marches and expressed an interest in helping progress the issues in Tipp Town to include education.
Discussions began with Deputy Lowry and  the Principals, resulting in a meeting with Minister Mc Hugh, Deputy Lowry and Principals Louise Tobin and Siobhan Verdon in November 2018.
DEIS was not on the table at this time, but recognizing the levels of disadvantage in the town the Minister agreed to investigate the situation.
Since last November Deputy Lowry has been working on a weekly basis ensuring that progress was being made on this issue.
Yesterday, Wednesday the 31st of July we are happy to say there was a major breakthrough in negotiations. At a meeting with DES officials at the further request of Deputy Lowry, the 5 Primary Schools were told that as an interim measure, before the next roll out of DEIS, we will have access to a package of additional supports and resources.
This package will include Literacy support, extra resources for non Irish national pupils and a Family Support Teacher.
We are confident that we will be included in the next roll out of DEIS, to be announced in Nov. 2019 for implementation in Sept. 2020.
On behalf of the children and the school communities in Tipperary Town we are hugely grateful to Deputy Michael Lowry for his ongoing commitment and dedication to this issue and ensuring we will have extra resources in our schools in September.
Louise Tobin,

(On behalf of the 5 Primary School Principals in Tipperary Town)

Principal,
St. Joseph’s Primary,
Tipperary Town
09432E
Press release pictured after a very successful meeting with Department of Education officials are the 5 Principals of the Primary Schools in Tipperary Town: Catriona Farrell , Deputy Principal The Monastery CBS, Siobhan Verdon , St. Michael’s Junior Boys, Deputy Lowry, Ide Mooney, St. Michael’s Girls NS, Louise Tobin, St. Joseph’s Primary and Eoghan Breathnach, Gaelscoil Thiobraid Arann.

Summary of our School Self Evaluation(SSE) and School Improvement Plan(SIP) 2018/2019

Summary of SSE and SIP in St. Joseph’s Primary School, 2018/2019

Literacy/ Numeracy

• Each month in Literacy we focus on particular comprehension strategies, oral language themes and writing genres.
  • In Numeracy, we focus on Maths language topics. We also have a Number of the month, with numbers appropriate to class levels.
  • These topics are displayed in the school environment and relayed to parents on the Textaparent app.

Oral Language

• Our school plan includes an emphasis on chosen Irish phrases for each class at break time.

Child Protection

• All staff have familiarised themselves with the Child Protection and Safeguarding Document.

Digital Learning Framework

• This year we have purchased 6 laptops for pupil access, 7 iPads, 10 sets of motorised Lego and a set of 6 Bee-Bots and accessories for junior classes.
  • All classes have had access to the laptops, iPads and Lego.
  • All classes have had access to a computer coding class.
  • Laptops and iPads have been used in various classes for Literacy, Numeracy, project research and inspiration in Art classes.
  • All classes have created Lego constructions and coded them to make them move.

Plans for 2019/2020

• Pupils in some classes will begin to use laptops and iPads to create an ePortfolio, which is an online file with work samples and photographs/ videos of school activities.
  • Further coding classes will be organised and part-funded by the school.
  • We will continue to expand children’s knowledge and use of iPads, laptops, Lego and Bee-Bots.
  • Our Literacy, Numeracy and Oral Language plans are an ongoing work in progress.

Green Schools – W.O.W. Day

Next Wednesday, 15th of May, all pupils in St. Joseph’s are encouraged to take part in our W.O.W. Day as part of our Green Schools initiatives under the theme of Global Citizenship Travel.

At last week’s assembly, members of the Green Schools Committee explained some of the environmentally friendly ways of coming to school- walking, cycling, scooters, car-pooling and park and stride.

Safety on the road is very important, so the committee wore high-viz jackets to remind us, and we sang the Safe Cross Code.

Our Green Schools notice board has posters to remind us all about W.O.W. day.

How will you travel to school next week?

Helping your children learn

Parents can find suggested activities, general information and useful tips to help their children to develop their literacy and numeracy on  www.helpmykidlearn.ie

www.cogg.ie also provides help in Irish.

NALA(The National Adult Literacy Agency) offers help and advice for parents who have difficulty with reading, writing, spelling and Maths. Their freephone number is 1800 20 20 65. Their website is www.takethefirststep.ie

All services are free.

Our phone number has changed.

The school no longer has a land line.

We will now have a mobile number for all school calls.

Our new number is 0867855932.

This number has no text facility-texts to this number will not be read or responded to.

Choir enters Lyric FM competition

St. Joseph’s Primary School

This entry will feature on our Lyric FM Choirs for Christmas programme on Tuesday (Dec 18th) which broadcasts between 1 and 1.30pm that afternoon. The programme will also be available afterwards on the RTÉ lyric fm Soundcloud page. 

RTE Lyric FM- Choirs for Christmas Competition 2018

Entry:
3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th class choir

Song: Candy Covered Ginger Bread House

Choir Biography

St. Joseph’s School Choir was formed in 1998 and has, in the current school year, approx. 100 students from classes 3rd to 6th with 3rd being the newcomers this September. The choir rehearses every Tuesday from 1.30 p.m. – 2.30 p.m.
St. Joseph’s School Choir performs for the school community regularly and at many local events to include the turning on of the Christmas Lights in Tipperary Town, Carol Singing downtown in aid of the St. Vincent de Paul and by invitation to other local events.
The School Choirs at St. Josephs have made many CDs over recent years to include 2 Christmas CDs and 2 Springtime CDs and indeed were featured on the Lyric FM Christmas CD in 2012 with the RTE Concert Orchestra.

This is the choir’s 8th time entering the ‘Lyric FM Choirs for Christmas Competition’ and we were thrilled and delighted to be runners up in our section in Dec. 2011, winners in 2014 and 2017.

Our most recent Claim to Fame was on November the 14th when we were invited to sing at the Launch of the St. Vincent de Paul Christmas Appeal in Dublin in the company of Ryan Tubridy. We had a fantastic time.

Our choir teacher is Ms. Helen Colbert.
We hope you enjoy our song for this year; it’s called Candy Covered Gingerbread House, and you can hear us singing here.

Song Details:

Title: Candy Covered Gingerbread House

Lyrics: Andy Beck & Brian Fisher

Composer: Andy Beck

Accompaniment: Backing track

Choir Director: Helen Colbert

Road Safety Assembly

On Wednesday, we had a road safety assembly. The girls from Room 7 showed us how to make ourselves more visible with hi-viz jackets and arm-bands.

The girls from Room 11 sang The Safe Cross Code to remind us how to cross the road safely. They also carried bags on their backs that were reflective. We need to remember that sometimes drivers might not see us even though we can see them, so we should wear something to help drivers notice us, whether we are walking, cycling or running.

The girls from 6th class put a lot of effort into designing road safety posters with great messages for all of us.

More photos of their posters to follow soon.

County Final Champions!

Congratulations to both the Under-11 and Under-13 teams on our double victory at the football County Finals in Semple Stadium, 22-11-2018.

Thank you to all those who helped and supported the teams in any way.

Singing at the launch of the St. Vincent de Paul Christmas Appeal

Last Wednesday, 14th of November, members of the choir from 4th and 5th class went to Dublin to sing at the launch of the St. Vincent de Paul Christmas Appeal.  We sang “Sparkle Jolly Twinkle Jingly“. The highlight of the day was when we met Ryan Tubridy. He was very entertaining. It was a great day.

The important message from the day out was that we all need to remember that people need our help this Christmas. Please support St. Vincent de Paul.

Christmas Shoebox Appeal

Thank you to everyone who contributed to the Shoebox Appeal. We filled 118 boxes which will be delivered to 118 children around the world. We hope they will really enjoy their presents.

Meeting with Minister for Education

Deputy Michael Lowry arranges meeting of New Minister for Education , Joe Mc Hugh with Tipp Town Principals .

The ongoing saga of the need and demand for extra resources for the 5 Primary Schools in Tipperary Town has been raised recently in government headquarters by Michael Lowry TD.
Mr. Lowry has held numerous meetings with the Tipp Town Principals and is fully briefed of the need for educational supports in the town’s Primary Schools.
Mr. Lowry saw at first hand the thousands of parents, families and children who marched in the recent MARCH4TIPP along with their schools.
At the request of Mr. Lowry a meeting was held last week with Minister for Education Joe Mc Hugh and DES officials with Principals Louise Tobin and Siobhan Verdon representing the 5 Principals of the town.
At this meeting the Principals outlined to the Minister the levels of deprivation in the town and the urgent need for supports for the children of the town.
The Minister was aware of this issue and was delighted to have the opportunity to hear at first hand the gaps in the children’s education. The DES official accepted the levels of disadvantage in Tipp Town but stated that any further roll-out of the DEIS scheme would not be until Spring 2019.
The Minister said he would have a look and see what he could do in terms of some input to help in the interim.
Mr. Lowry reiterated that we need supports now, as parents were feeling the educational needs of their children were being overlooked with each passing year.
Mr. Lowry will continue to work on behalf of the children of Tipperary Town til this issue is resolved.
Pictured at a meeting last week with Minister for Education Mr. Joe McHugh are left to right
Louise Tobin, Principal, St. Joseph’s Primary, Tipperary Town; Minister for Education Mr. Joe McHugh; Siobhan Verdon, Principal, St. Michael’s Junior Boys School and Michael Lowry TD.

Nature Trail – Official Opening

On Friday 19th October, our Nature Trail was officially opened by Councillor Mary Hanna. Earlier this year, Ms. Tobin, our school principal, applied to Tipperary County Council for a grant under the RAPID funding programme. When we were lucky enough to receive the grant, Ms. Tobin formed a committee involving our caretaker Pat, and our Ebony’s dad, Graham Hunt, who designed the garden.

Our Nature Trail starts with an Entrance Arch and includes a Wishing Bench, a Wishing Well, a Gnome Garden, labelled trees and flowers, a Fairy Grove, painted fences, birds taking a bath, stepping stones, a Community Garden, a Nature Trail Mural, a living Willow Wall, a vegetable garden, and ends with the Peace Garden. As you walk around, watch out for some frogs and squirrels. The present 6th class did a lovely job of painting the fence in the Junior Yard last summer when they were in 5th class. They were also excellent at presenting their speeches on the day.

Councillor Mary Hanna then cut the ribbon to declare the Nature Trail open. To finish the occasion, we all took a stroll around the wonderful Nature Trail. Look at our photos and join us on our Nature Trail.

Cheerios Childline Breakfasts

Last week all classes took part in the Cheerios Childline Breakfasts. We raised over €260, and had a nice breakfast in school too. Thank you to everyone who made a donation.

Visiting the River Ara

On the 4th of October, some classes went to see the River Ara beside Tipp Co -Op with Albert Nolan, (who also told us about bees and pollination in June of this year). We found water scorpions, whirligig beetles, leeches that only attach to fish and birds but not people, small fish and other little creatures. We wore our boots and went in to the water with nets to catch some wildlife. Some of us got water in our boots too. It was great fun.

3rd Class use Tangrams in Maths Week

The girls in 3rd class used tangrams in Maths class today. We learned that tamgrams are made up of 7 shapes – a square, a parallelogram and 5 triangles. Our first challenge was to make a square with all 7 pieces. That was tricky. Then we helped each other to make pictures with the shapes, such as a person on a horse, an emerald and a bird.

Computer Coding with MobileIT

Today, all classes had a lesson in Scratch Computer Coding. Look at some of the classes in action. More photos to follow.

If you would like to download Scratch and use it at home with your child, it is available as a free download at https://scratch.mit.edu/

There are lots of online tutorials. Once downloaded, Scratch does not require internet. Please read the notes for parents here- https://scratch.mit.edu/parents/

Maths Week

This week is Maths Week. Parents will be receiving a leaflet this week with ideas of how to make Maths practical for your child. Cooking, shopping and train journeys are all opportunities for using Maths in everyday life.

There are lots of interactive Maths games on the internet. Check this page of our blog for some ideas-Educational Websites.

You can also play memory games/ tables games etc with a deck of cards. Check here for lots of ideas- Making Math More Fun Card Games

On Wednesday, MobileIT will be coming with almost 30 laptops. The pupils in every classroom will have an opportunity to learn some computer coding. This helps to improve problem solving skills, which are very necessary in Maths. Each child is asked to bring 3 euro please.

Cheerios Childline Breakfast

This week, every child will be receiving a fun-size box of Cheerios at school for breakfast. Alternatively, children may bring a breakfast of their choice- toast, cereal, fruit, yoghurt, etc.

We will be collecting donations for Childline.

Your child will need to bring a spoon and a plastic bowl, in a plastic bag. Milk is provided in school.

Thank you for your ongoing support.

Upcoming County Finals

Huge congratulations to both the U11 and U13 football teams for winning their matches in the recent blitzes. We are very proud of your achievements so far.

We wish both panels the very best for the upcoming County Finals.

Thanks to all staff, parents and especially the trainers for all the hard work.

The Shoebox Appeal

This week your child should receive information about the Shoebox Appeal. Participation is voluntary. If you choose to take part, your child could fill a box on their own, with a sister in school or as part of a group of friends in school. There will also be a shoebox in each classroom where your child could add an item or two.

Remember the 4 Ws – wash, wear, write and wow. Some items are not allowed, so please read the information leaflet carefully.

These shoeboxes will bring happiness to lots of needy children.

Walk for Róisín 13-9-2018

Yesterday we had our sponsored walk to raise funds for Róisín and her family. The weather was lovely. We set out after break and walked up the hills and around Patrick’s Avenue. The senior classes accompanied their buddies in the junior classes. When we got back to school, Ms. Tobin, our principal, thanked everyone for their generous donations, those who made the wonderful banner carried by Ava, Róisín’s sister, and a friend, the parent helpers, and the members of An  Garda Síochána who assisted in keeping us safe as we walked. Pink balloons were then released into the air to carry our best wishes to Dublin to wish Róisín a speedy recovery.

Albert Nolan – bees and pollination

Albert Nolan visited in June to teach the pupils about recognising bees, and their importance in pollination. We examined our school garden and planted lavender and some bright flowers. Lavender smells lovely and bees like brightly-coloured flowers. We also looked at dandelions, buttercups and clover in our football field.

We walked around the school looking for bees. However all we found was a big wasp. It was quite angry when Albert caught it in a net, and then carefully transferred it to a viewing jar. After we looked at it, Albert released it again.

Albert asked us to leave some grass uncut for bees and other insects. There are lots of types of bees in Ireland. Albert’s visit was very enjoyable.

Some photo updates from 2nd Class

The girls in 2nd class have been enjoying the Fundamental Movements PE classes in the hall. Watch them HERE.

Science Week with Lismore Science: The girls in 2nd class experimented with a page and some metal bolts to find the strongest bridge they could make with a sheet of paper. They also constructed a tower with clothes pegs and paperclips. See them at work HERE.

Skipathon 2023

On Friday 23rd of June, our pupils took part in a sponsored skipathon to raise funds for the school.

If you missed the event, or just want to look back on the wonderful performances, click on the video links below.

We also performed our Growth Mindset Chant and the Jimmy Buckley song, Show a Little Kindness.

The New Primary Curriculum

Parents/Guardians,

You may be aware that the primary curriculum is changing and will continue to change over the coming years. The new primary curriculum recognises the key role parents and guardians play in their child’s education and promotes a partnership approach which will encourage increased communication between schools and parents/guardians.

Please see the attached leaflet which outlines some of these changes in more detail.

New Primary Curriculum

URGENT- Blood Donations Needed

Ballykisteen Hotel, Tipperary

Tues 6th , Wed 7th & Thurs 8th June

4.50pm – 8.10pm

New Donors welcome

Please phone 1800 222 111 for appointment.

Did you know?

Did you know that approximately 1000 people in Ireland get blood transfusions every week?Transfusions can happen for a variety of reasons – cancer treatment, surgery, car accidents, and childbirth complications to name a few.Your gift could save a life!

Why not become a blood donor and save lives? This is your opportunity give the gift of life.

Did you know?

1 in 4 of us will need a blood transfusion in our lifetime

•             67% of donated blood is used to treat cancer patients & people with blood disorders.

•             27% of donated blood is used in surgery and emergency situations

•             6% of donated blood is used to treat blood loss after childbirth & to help premature babies

•             100% of donated blood is precious and saves lives in Ireland everyday.

Explaining test scores on the summer report cards.

School reports will issue during the month of June. In classes from 1st to 6th class, you will notice a section for standardised test scores.

What do standardised tests measure?
Standardised tests in English reading and maths measure your child’s achievement compared to other children in all schools at the same class or age level.

To find out more, read the attached document in English.
Understanding STen scores- English

This has been translated into some other languages, which you will get at this link.
https://ncca.ie/en/primary/resources-for-parents/

The results can be reported as standard scores or STen scores.
In St. Joseph’s School, we report the STen score.

Please ensure that you scroll down to the section- Understanding STen scores: information for parents.

Growth Mindset

Watch our video which showcases the wonderful Growth Mindset activities that staff and pupils practice daily here in St. Joseph’s

Free Schoolbooks for pupils in Primary Schools

From September 2023, schoolbooks, workbooks and copybooks for children in primary schools, including special schools, will be provided to every child free by their school. There is no charge to parents/guardians for this, as schools receive funding from Government to cover these costs.

For further information, please click here: Info for parents

Integration of our Ukrainian Pupils

We take great pride in ensuring that our school setting is an inclusive, safe and happy environment to enable all our pupils thrive and reach their potential.

To date, we have welcomed a dozen girls from war torn Ukraine to our school.

Please see two articles, recently featured in The Nationalist and The Irish Times which highlight the great work being done by all staff here at St. Joseph’s.

The Nationalist 

The Irish Times

Food Dudes

This year a “Food Dudes Week” is available for our school as part of Year 3 of the programme. This will take place from February 27th – March 03rd.

Each pupil will receive 5 days of free fresh fruit and vegetable deliveries.
Please inform the school if your child is allergic to any of these fruit/ vegetables.