Dr Conor’s Lockdown History for Kidz!

Welcome to Dr Conor’s Lockdown History for Kidz!

I am Dr Conor Reidy and on the first Wednesday of every month I contribute the Tipperary Hidden Histories slot on Tipp Today on Tipp FM! I am a professional historian, editor and former lecturer.

This list provides a fun way for children to enjoy the study of History at home during our temporary lockdown. The suggestions are divided into different categories of interest including the Vikings, the Great Famine, Mythology, Ancient Egypt, the 1918 Influenza Pandemic, as well as other topics.

This is not designed to substitute or supplement Irish primary school teaching. It is intended as a fun way of learning History with suggestions for activities to help children fill all this spare time!

It does not matter if some of the material featured here is not part of the school curriculum. History is History. Learning is Learning. Keeping young minds occupied and active with verified facts that will fascinate, is all that matters.

Much of this can be enjoyed by the child or children on their own and there are many activities that parents can set after the videos are viewed as a way to keep their interest alive. I will make some activity suggestions at the end of this list, but you may have your own!

While the videos are child-friendly, you may wish to check out some of the darker topics in advance to ensure that they are suitable for your own individual family.

Enjoy!
Dr Conor

PS. I included a few random selections for parents and guardians at the end!

Lockdown History Booklet

Copyright © 2023. All rights reserved.

Posted April 9, 2020 by Admin in category About our school